On 23rd March 1891, John Manley acquired a Framing and Gilding business from Messrs Ellis Hills, who had been previously trading
as Hair Dressers and Picture Frame Makers, for an unknown number of years, at Peascod Street in Windsor.
Mr. Manley’s skills as an art restorer and maker of the highest quality picture frames were quickly recognized by King Edward VII
who awarded the firm its first Royal warrant. Further warrants were awarded by King George V and Princess Christian when the Gallery moved premises to 27 High Street (currently the ‘Barbour Shop’), Windsor. Mr. Manley Snr died in 1921 and his wife Maud carried on the business, gathering further Royal warrants from Queen Mary and George VI. The business moved once again to larger premises at 24
Thames Street, Windsor which is now occupied by Zizzi Restaurant.
Mrs. Manley transferred the business to their son Patrick in 1949 who was awarded the last Royal warrant by Her Majesty the Queen in 1956. The final move was in 1964 to the present location at 27 High Street, Eton and the business has been in the hands of myself for the last 30 years.
The original fine art restoration and framing skills of the business still remain today in the hands of the Gallery’s own staff who continue to frame and restore for the Royal family together with a great many private collectors, Galleries and institutions throughout the UK.
The Gallery treasures its custom from the community and aims to be a part of Eton for many more years to come.