As has happened over the last few years, architectural and stained glass images from St George’s Chapel and manuscript details from the Chapel’s Archives are projected onto Garter Tower as part of Windsor’s Christmas decorations.
The two images shown here are the Gilebertus doors at the east end of the Chapel and the coat of arms of King Edward IV as depicted in stained glass in the south quire aisle of St George’s Chapel.
The Gilebertus doors were the main west doors to a previous chapel on which site now stands the Albert Memorial Chapel. The red and gold doors date from the 13th century and are decorated with wrought and stamped iron. The name Gilebertus appears three times on the door and could possibly refer to the craftsman who made them. The Coat of Arms is from some Victorian stained glass but refers to King Edward IV who, in the year 1475, commanded that the current Chapel be built.
You can see more information and some beautiful Videos of the illuminations on the St Georges website by clicking here or on the pictures above.